How to Direct a Model for a Sports Photoshoot ?
Hello again! This time in “The Other Side” we’re going to explain to you how to direct a model for a sports photoshoot, I know some of you will think this is a easy one, but let me tell you is not like that, mostly when you know the perspective of the model as I’m going to show you right now.
For a sports photoshoot we need a model who’s in shape, with a great smile and not afraid of giving away some push-ups or jumps in the studio.
So, we’re going to play with high and low velocities in our camera, but right now we’ll talk about the models on it:
- Before the photoshoot the model should do some exercises, squads or push-ups to define here body before taking the photos. So, always tell them that before you begin the photoshoot.
- If it’s a specific type of photoshoot like: tennis, running, basketball, swim, football or another sport, just be careful to bring all the right clothes and the accessories the models will need.
- Make them always do the right positions as they’re doing the sport when you’re taking the pictures: this will help the model to be in the role. You’ll have a real expression in their faces, not a fake one (Everyone hates fakes expression in the industry)
- Always bring the upper part of the body to the front, this will helps a lot to the figure of the model.
- If it’s a photoshoot for a sport brand, keep in mind the logo in the clothes and also the space in the scene to put it after in Photoshop.
- Always be careful with the make-up, water or oil in the models body and the clothes on them, believe me you don’t want to have a mess with the client after.
- Never stay in the basic positions, try to be more creative and original, mostly if it’s for a very important brand.
- Give a little introduction to the models about your idea for the photoshoot; remember you are the photographer and it’s your idea for that you have been hired.
- If you can hire a Make-Up Artist (MUA) it’s really nice, but remember that this kind of photoshoot are always very simple in a natural way.
- Always bring good music to the set; powerful tunes will stimulated the sports attitudes of the models.
- Give them a break after 3 or 4 camera shoots; doing a sport photoshoot can be really exhausting for the models, so if you want to capture a really nice picture, you need to give them a “space” to recover their energy.
- Never forget to bring at least water or some fruits to the set.
- If you can find professional athletes or fitness people for the photoshoot would be so much interesting; but you have to guide them to bring that fashion style into the set. In the other hand, if you’re going to work with fashion models, remember always to guide them through the set in case they don’t do that kind of sport.
These simple but basic steps will guide you to have a kickoff sports photoshoot. Remember always to have positive vibes and never forget that is QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Have a wonderful day and see you in the next chapter!